Saturday 13 June 2015

Afara Leadership Centre redefined my life



I found out about Afara in 2013 when Obiye moved in with me for the semester, she was a "bloody squatter".

I always wondered why a group of women would choose to be celibate and not simply join the nearest convent. I thought there was more honour in being a catholic priest or nun than in being an Opus dei member.
Opus dei keh, for what na.

Beautiful view of Afara Leadership Centre


My opinion about these people at Afara was that they were a bunch of women too nice to be in Nigeria. I mean, they would relate with you as if they have always known you, like you're their niece they haven't seen in years.

And that was how they sent Dolapo after me. I thought.

Too nice, very pretty, I used to call her " mothet superior" when gisting with Obiye. I think when they like you, they never let you go, even when you try to show some kind of werey, they will hold you tighter. Yea, they are Nigerians.

So, my perception of them changed, I started to love them, for who they are and for what they do. They are selfless, you'll never meet anyone like them. The centre and the people helped me reshape my idea about life. Now all I want to do is be better, be responsible and be aware of everything and everyone around me. All I've wanted to do since I met Afara is "do''. 

Afara Leadership Centre inspires in every aspect of life. Educational development, leadership development, skills, environment, relationship, religion, everything.

I am currently a student of one of its many programs and courses, LDP(leadership Development Programme) and I wish every young girl out there would grab this opportunity with an open heart to learn everything that would be taught.
Its been fun, tho the lunch part is really frustrating. Imagine having great food in front of you but can't completely derive satisfaction because you're eating with a fork and a knife. Even bananas!!! Lol.

Afara offers amazing activities for teens and adults to develop themselves.




Some of the activities in the Centre:
1. Complete Life After School Seminar (CLASS) :
geared towards preparing secondary school
leavers for the challenges of life in tertiary
institutions and helping them to assume the
mantle of leadership in their immediate
environment.


2. UNIV : an international university congress born
out of the desire to help undergraduates
challenge the ills they see in society, not with
violent means but with productive criticism. They
are helped to design and implement solutions to
these problems through community development
projects.
3. Leadership Development Programme (LDP) : seeks
to meet challenge of the dearth of female
leadership. The programme's philosophy is
leadership through self-leadership and social
responsibility. Its theoretical part aims at
energizing participants to be change agents,
instilling leadership qualities and professionalism
at work and providing entrepreneurship skills. The
practical part – leadership in action – aims at
social responsibility through community
development projects and other volunteer work
experience.
4. Study techniques: forum for interaction between
lecturers and students to teach the latter how to
make the best of the academic aspect of their
university years.
Afara also offers weekly recreational and educational activities like the reading marathon, baking sessions, horticulture sessions e.t.c

So I invite you, let Afara redefine you today. Visit Afara and tell your story.

Afara Leadership Centre is situated at 25,
Thorburn Avenue (Off Commercial Av. or off
Montgomery), Yaba, Lagos.
Click here to visit their website



Photo credit: https://afaraleadershipcentre.wordpress.com/

4 comments:

Thank you for letting us what you think about this post.
We truly appreciate you.